HCMG745 Healthcare Practice Management
Research Paper – Develop a Physician Practice Business Plan for your Medical Group.
Due: Day 7 of Weeks 3 and 5
Points: 200 for each section for a total of 400 points
Background information: A Physician Practice Business Plan can serve as a “blueprint” for those physicians who are planning on opening a practice. Physicians and class employees who are already working in a physician practice can compare their Physician Practice Business Plan to the organization’s own. Last, for those physicians who will be interviewing and asking questions at a prospective physician practice; this information will be useful in your decision-making.
Plan: As the practice leader, you are to write a realistic Physician Practice Business Plan. Three research papers are due in Weeks 3 and 5 pertaining to a Physician Practice Business Plan for your Medical Group. These assignments will be cumulative in nature, building each week in your physician practice management knowledge, synthesizing it into a Physician Practice Business Plan.
Overall Assignment Details: The Physician Practice Business Plan is a continuous document to focus on a practice business strategy, developed and written by each student in Weeks 3 and 5. A portion of the Physician Business Plan is written during these weeks based on the instructions for that week.
- The HEADINGS for each assignment are provided to you and originate from the assigned reading from the textbook.
- Each part (part one due in week 3 and part two due in week 5) should be a minimum 6 pages in length, excluding title, table of contents and references pages.
- There must be a minimum of 5 – 7 scholarly peer-reviewed references. The textbook is not considered a peer-reviewed reference.
- The title page is first, and it will be followed by the Table of Contents (TOC). Use the HEADINGS below to create the TOC (include page numbers in your TOC).
- Use a running header (see APA format)
- Each paper will have an introduction and a conclusion paragraph since there is new information.
- There is no abstract required in the written assignments.
- Each weekly paper will follow APA format and standards.
Part I: Organization and Operations
Due: Week 3, Day 7
For Part 1, you are to provide a Table of Contents using the headings below. Discuss each area this week as part of your Physician Practice Business Plan:
USE THESE HEADINGS IN YOUR PAPER
- Type of Practice/Location/Office Hours/Accessibility (after hours, holidays and weekends; patient mode of contacting the office – duty day)
- Write a Mission Statement Only
- Write a Vision Statement Only
- Write a Value Statement Only
- Services Offered
- Develop Standards
- Select Accountable Care Organization Model: (IDS, MSGP, PHO, IPA, or VPO) Why?
- Human Resources and Staffing Practices – Employees handbook – discuss your top important 5 employee office policies. Why is each one important?
- Information Technology (what other IT will the office feature besides EMR/EHR?):
- Facilities Management
- Purchasing and Supply Management
- Quality Improvement and the Effective Medical Group (Identify issues requiring monitoring to improve):
- Opportunities, Risk and Vulnerabilities
- Barriers to Success
- Measuring Success
In addition, you are to create a Future Goals/Implementation Plan/Estimated Date of Completion (EDC) graph (Example: Future Goal/Implementation Plan: After opening your practice; here is an example of something you may want to get done within the next year – keep it on your “radar” after opening your practice). Set it up this way:
|Social Media/Marketing Efforts to Recruit Employees, Physicians and Patients/Staying Ahead of Competitors|
|Expansion Efforts (e.g., new product and services)|