Week 7: Cultural Competency and Diversity
HINT730: Week 7 – Cultural Competency/Diversity Assignment
Perform Part 1 before you view the videos and required readings.
Part 1: Twin Resumes Reflection (10 points):
You have received two resumes. Each individual meets the job requirements, has the same educational background, the same work history, and the same community involvement. Your company has a diversity policy in place.
In each of the following scenarios, you have been given one additional piece of information about the candidate. These scenarios are independent of each other.
Candidate A. Male
Candidate B. Female
Candidate A. Asian
Candidate B. Hispanic
Candidate A. Age 30 with some health issues
Candidate B. Age 60 with no health issues
Candidate A. African American with ethnic sounding name
Candidate B. African American with western sounding name
Candidate A. White with tattoos
Candidate B. African American
Candidate A. White Female
Candidate B. Middle Eastern Female
Candidate A. In a wheelchair
Candidate B. No wheelchair
Be honest with yourself–without thinking, who would you select out of these pairs. Do not tell me who you would have selected. However, write a short reflection and answer the following questions:
Now that you have decided, did your own personal biases affect the one candidate that you selected? In what way? Did you make a selection to intentionally go against your own bias? Did knowing that your company had a diversity policy in place effect that initial choice?
Part 2: Diversity Program Video Presentation (50 points)
Your administrator has tasked you with providing a 8-10 minute program on diversity for your staff. You are also to provide a department policy on the topic as well.
- The focus of your program should cover one of the following topics. My recommendation is to select a topic that makes you uncomfortable or that you have experienced.
- Racial Bias/Stereotyping
- Health Literacy
- Multicultural awareness in the workplace
- Sexual Orientation
- Your program should include the following:
- Background on the issue including statistics related to the topic as well as how they relate to the workplace
- A quote or quotes related to the topic
- A link to least one TED talk or professional Youtube video that is pertinent to the topic (this is not part of the 10 minute requirement). Do not use any of the videos provided under weekly materials.
- You are to present this as a narrated powerpoint, prezi, or some other presentation software via Kaltura – be sure to record using the screen & webcam options. Submit your presentation by selecting the submission link via Assignments in Blackboard. Click
Write Submission>Mashups>Kaltura Media and selecting your recorded video.
- Points will be awarded for creativity (fun!)
Part 3: Department Policy (30 points)
Policy: Research existing policies related to your chosen topic. Write a departmental policy that relates to your topic. This should not be just an overall diversity policy. It should be specific to your topic. The policy at a minimum should include:
- Policy statement
- Brief explanation of any legislation pertinent to the topic
Part 4: Reflection (10 points)
You are to provide a reflection after you have completed your assignment. Answer the following questions:
- Why did you select the topic you chose?
- Do you feel that after investigating the topic, you have a better understanding of some of the issues related to your topic?
- How did researching this topic change your views?