HINT730 Information Management in Healthcare
Assignment: Compare/Contrast HIPAA with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Due: Day 7 of Week 2
In May, 2018, The European Union passed the “most important change in data privacy regulation in 20 years” (Trunomi, 2018). For this assignment, you are to assume that your organization is planning on expanding their healthcare business to a European country. You and your Board are headed to a strategic planning meeting related to the start of this new venture. You have been assigned the task of reporting on the effect that the GDPR will have on the organization’s operations. You have several tasks before you.
- Read through the information provided regarding the General Data Protection Regulation
- Read Chapter 11 regarding HIPAA requirements related to Privacy, Confidentiality and Security
- In Part 1 of your paper, you are to compare and contrast the major components of these two major pieces of legislation. At a minimum the following areas should be addressed:
- Components of Informed Consent
- Data protection officer/Compliance Officer Duties
- Email marketing
- Personal Data/PHI
- Privacy impact assessment
- Right of Access
- Right to be Forgotten
- Right to be informed
- Third Countries
- You can do this in a table format, or in a narrative format. If you do it in a narrative format, use the bulleted points as paragraph headers.
- In Part 2 of your paper, you are going to make recommendations to your Board of Trustees as they begin their strategic planning process. What changes will need to make in order to adhere to these regulations. Consider the personnel that would need to be involved as well as any procedural changes and challenges that will have to be met. Let the Board know if there are any downsides to implementing the proposed changes.
- Part 3 of this assignment is to reflect on the information you investigated. Do you think the GDPR is a better piece of legislation? Why or why not? This should be 1 – 2 paragraphs.
- In general, you should have at least 3 additional resources other than those provided in your weekly materials or the textbook. Use APA formatting
Assignment: Compare/Contrast HIPAA and GRPD
Weekly Learning Objectives: • Engage key stakeholders in information governance initiatives. (VI.F.5) • Leverage enterprise-wide information assets to enable achievement of organizational strategies and objectives. (VI.F.6) • Engage key stakeholders in information systems planning. (III.B.5)
In May, 2018, the European Union passed the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This regulation provided EU residents with new rights and freedoms and gave EU citizens greater control over the personal information that is collected, processed, and used by companies. The main purpose of GDPR is to protect the rights and freedoms of EU residents and to give them more control over their personal data, no matter where personal data is collected or processed. Thus the GDPR affects any nation that does business with members of the EU or who treats a resident of a EU country. Access the Compare/Contrast HIPAA and GRPD document for the details/requirements in order to successfully complete the assignment.
Note: Review the grading criteria in the rubric below prior to completing and submitting your assignment.
Assignment Rubric Due by Day 7, 11:59pm ET. Submit in Assignments via the left-hand navigation menu.
There are no reviews yet.