HRM340 STAGE 1: Project Document – Part 1
Case Scenario: Fictitious Business Description
Castle’s Family Restaurant has eight restaurants in the northern California area with approximately 350 employees. Most of the employees are part time, with approximately 40% of them full time. The operations manager, Jay Morgan, also acts as the HR manager and travels to each location each week to take care of scheduling, recruiting, hiring, and answering questions for the employees as needed. He also takes care of payroll using an Excel spreadsheet and has a computer application to print payroll checks. Mr. Morgan approaches you, an HR consultant, for a proposal. Due to the increase in gasoline costs, he would like to greatly reduce his travel time for visiting each location each week and wonders if there is anything you can suggest to him to help him complete his HR tasks in a cost-effective manner. He hopes there is some way he can do part of his HR tasks from his office instead of traveling to each location.
STAGE 1: Project Document – Part 1 (to stay on track, this part should be completed by Week 3)
Using the case scenario above, provide an assessment of the current business. Describe the company in terms of size, type of business, and so on. Explain why you think an HRIS is needed. As the owner of your own HR consulting firm, begin your proposed solution for Jay Morgan by composing a paper that includes the following sub-headings, which are denoted below. This part should be about 2-3 pages.
- INTRODUCTION: provides sufficient background on the topic and previews major points.
- BUSINESS ASSESSMENT: the name, type, and size of business you’re assisting. Make assumptions in your business description using theories, as needed, and include the information in your paper for this case scenario. These assumptions should include some background about a restaurant work environment and industry.
- IDENTIFIED PROBLEMS: Review all HR problems identified. I recommend making a list of HR functions that you believe could be more efficient, based on the information provided in the scenario. From that list, choose one HR function for analysis, which will be the main focus for your business plan. You want to explain why you chose that HR function as your first item, and substantiate with theory.
- HRIS NEEDS ASSESSMENT: Explain how automation might create a more efficient process from the HR function chosen. How might an HRIS application assist the business?
- CONCLUSION: The conclusion is logical, flows from the body of the paper, and reviews the major points. You must include at least 4 references and citations, not including the required textbook reference.
There are no reviews yet.