Principles of Biology
- Why is it important to eat healthy?
A healthy diet is essential for good health and nutrition. It protects you against many chronic noncommunicable diseases like cancer and diabetes.
Lab 3 Important Biological macromolecules in our diet
Learn about biological macromolecules by examining our diet and best practice of proper nutrition. Propose proper nutrition using the major biological macromolecules learned in Module 3 since these molecules are used to build cells.
- Identify the subunit building blocks of proteins and name the covalent bond used to synthesize proteins
- Identify the functions of proteins in cells
- Identify the subunit building blocks of starch, glycogen, and cellulose and name the covalent bond used to synthesize these macromolecules
- Identify the functions of carbohydrates in cells
- Identify the subunit building blocks of DNA and RNA nucleic acids and name the covalent bond used to synthesize these macromolecules
- Identify the structure and function of lipids in cells including phospholipids, steroids, fats, and oils
Prepare a document/flyer to use to advertise to high school students healthy nutritional lifestyle based on eating well-balanced diet which includes the right amount of each biological macromolecules of proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, and nucleic acids. You will need to connect the food group to the biological macromolecule most represented within the group so that the students understand the relationship between the four categories of biological macromolecules and the foods they eat. Example: grains are primarily carbohydrates so this is the biological macromolecule more represented in this food group. Link to learn more about proper nutrition from USDA: https://www.myplate.gov/.
The document will be two pages maximum and will contain typewritten text and images/pictures of the food groups. You will cite the source of your pictures (even if you use your own images) as well cite the source of the information used to write the report. In your write-up you will include the following information about each type of macromolecule:
- structural makeup
- overall function in the body
- identify the food group where each biomolecule may be found
Your flyer should also include an overall theme that emphasizes the importance of a healthy diet. It is a good idea to organize your understanding of biological macromolecules before you start thinking about what your brochure will include. Fill out the chart below to help organize your thoughts for the flyer.
|Structural makeup||Overall function in the body||Types of food where each biomolecule can be found|
In the flyer you will answer the following questions:
- Why is it important to eat healthy?
- How will a student know if s/he is eating healthy?
- What do you better understand by learning about eating a healthy diet?
How will this report be graded?
I will grade the lab based on the following information was answered completely and correctly:
- each type of biological macromolecule is identified and includes its general structure
- overall function in the body of each biological macromolecule is present
- food group identified where each type of biological macromolecule is predominant
- cite sources of information and images used and include the citation link
- overall theme of importance of healthy diet in report is included
- above questions are answered in report
Once the lab is reviewed by me, I will provide feedback and assign a grade based on above criteria. Students will be given the opportunity to revise their lab report based on this feedback and re-upload their revised work. At another time, I will review the revised report and assign a new grade and provide feedback. This procedure is to help increase student learning.
When is Lab 3 due to Assignments?
Lab 3 report is due by September 1st, 11PM. The report may be uploaded before this due date and time. When you upload your word document or pdf to Assignment Lab 3 please check that your TURNITIN similarity score is less than 20% with green color. If not, then I suggest to revise the report and re-upload and recheck the similarity score. This is process helps ensure the work is your own and not copied from another source.
There are no reviews yet.