Week 3: Exchanging Information and Using It In a Meaningful Way
Patient Identification and Matching Assignment
- You are to review the attached excerpt of 15 patients from a Master Patient Index. Click to make a copy of the Master Patient Index file.
- The MPI on the left is data from your hospital, the MPI on the right is from your affiliated physician group practice. You have been tasked with merging these two MPIs.
- Your first responsibility is to review the two data sets. Identify the discrepancies between the two sets of data. Enter your observations in the comment column of the excel file and upload the file. Name your file MPI.lastname.firstname
- Consider formatting, content, accuracy and integrity of the data. How should the fields be formatted to ensure data points can be merged and that you are merging the same patients? How do you determine if they are one in the same? What are some other matching points that you would need to ensure they are the same patient? What other errors/issues did you discover in the data?
- Assume you are heading up a task force responsible for creating a policy and procedure for patient identification and matching.
You are to create this policy and procedure that will include the categories of data you will collect for the MPI, and the formatting of how the information will be entered into the system—including a plan for dealing with unavailable information, and a plan for ensuring the accuracy of the information. Use the information from the Roadmap, the articles provided, and any other resources you can find. You can either embed the file in the excel document, or you can upload a separate word file for this section.
There are numerous examples of policy formats on the internet. Set up the information as a formal policy statement that includes, at a minimum, the following sections:
- Title of policy
- Policy Statement
- Purpose of Policy
- Procedural Steps which will include the categories of data, formatting of data, unavailable information, and accuracy of information